Your ductwork can become the perfect place for mold growth if not cleaned and maintained. Mold thrives in areas that are cool, dark and moist, and it only takes a single spore and a little bit of moisture to develop a mold problem. Mold is a biological organism, so simply cleaning it off may not completely remove the spores; to truly eradicate mold, it needs to be destroyed. UV germicidal lights can be great weapons against mold growth in Jacksonville, and Touchstone Heating and Air, Inc., can help you with professional installation. Mold can cause a number of health hazards and greatly decrease your indoor air quality, so it’s important to remove it as soon as possible.
Health Issues That Can Develop from Mold Growth
Mold can be tremendously inflammatory for a lot of people, causing discomfort and potential health problems. Here are just a few issues that can be caused by mold growth:
- Aggravation of allergies – mold spores irritate a wide range of people, particularly those who have allergies. Sneezing, coughing and wheezing are all typical allergic reactions to mold.
- Asthma attacks – mold spores can bring on asthmatic reactions, resulting in attacks.
- Exposure to mycotoxins – mycotoxins are harmful metabolites produced by mold spores. There are a wide range of reactions people can have to mycotoxins, including skin rashes, respiratory issues, vision impairment, neurological issues, fatigue, circulatory problems and others.
How UV Germicidal Lighting Helps with Mold
UV germicidal lighting uses UV-C lights rays to destroy the DNA of biological pollutants like mold. The radiation from the UV-C rays kinks a cell’s DNA, while also destroying the life-sustaining proteins the cell needs to survive. As such, UV lights not only destroy living cells: they ensure that these cells cannot replicate, thereby eradicating further growth and infestation. UV lights are over 99% effective in destroying biological contaminants. Typical placement for UV lights is in ductwork and over the evaporator coils in your indoor unit.
Smelling Something Musty? It May Be Time For UV Lighting
The most common sign of mold growth in ductwork is a musty, stale odor that you’ll smell when your air conditioner cycles on. If you are smelling this odor coming from your vents, it may be time to consider the installation of UV germicidal lights in Jacksonville. Have questions?
To learn more about UV germicidal lights call Touchstone Heating and Air, Inc., today and schedule an appointment with one of our experts.